We’re doing Scrum. It’s an agile method of shipping, or at least completing, ‘potentially-shippable’ products every two weeks. These mad 2-week cycles are called Sprints.
As a Designer one of the issues that emerged during the first Sprint was finishing art assets well within the sprint, while giving the Web Developer, Game Developer and Marketeer enough time to actually put these assets to use.
One of the ways we tried to solve this was to use place holder art. After the initial planning which took 2 days, I did some sketches and placeholders. Which let the developer start programming the game while I refine those art assets.
Below is a spritesheet of the place holder art. And the goal is to keep the final sprite as close as possible, resulting in the least possible work for the developer.
Below is an example of the completed spritesheet, there were some changes like button states, we’ll put this into the next SPRINT.
This is a shot of a scene with the prototype art.
And here we have the same scene in its final form.